Are you the one who is searching for a PhD in the Netherlands? If so, there is a big opportunity geared up for you. Research activities in the Netherlands are famous among researchers around the world. It is now time to apply for the PhD Position. The Institute of History at the University of Leiden invites applications for two PhD Positions available in the history of U.S. foreign relations and international order. If you are interested, you may now apply for the PhD Positions at Leiden University in The Netherlands.
Details about the PhD Positions at Leiden University
There are 2 PhD Positions for which applications are invited. Leiden University seeks applications for these PhD Positions. The candidates for PhD Program will become part of the NWO-Funded Vidi Project ‘American Foreign Policy and Liberalism’ Led by Dr. Andrew Gawthorpe. As far as these PhD positions at the University of Leiden are concerned, they are fully funded. The required commencement date for this program is 1st January 2024.
Similar Scholarship: Applications are Open for Imperial College London Scholarships
Description of the Project
Scholars and historians of international relations are often concerned about how the U.S. set out to create a ‘liberal international order’ post (after) World War II. But is that actually what the policymakers of the United States were trying to do? This project is all set to investigate the complexities of the U.S. approach to international order – defined as norms, rules, and institutions shaping and mediating international politics (in the period of postwar).
Being members of this project, the PhD degree candidates will produce dissertations that make focus on an aspect of this broader topic. It is to be noted that a unique research proposal could be a vital aspect of the application.
Key Responsibilities for PhD Positions at Leiden University
- Contribution to the group’s societal and policy outreach
- PhD thesis completion within the time period of 4 years
- Participating in research group meetings
- Presentation of intermedia research results at conferences and workshops
- Contribution to undergraduate teaching in 2nd and 3rd years
- Participation in Graduate School training programs
Requirements for PhD Positions at the University of Leiden
- Applicants should have knowledge of the history and/or theoretical debates that concern United States foreign policy and international order.
- The applicants should possess an MA or MSc in the field of international relations, history, or a relevant field, held by the time of appointment. If the degree is not yet earned by the time the application is submitted, in that case, a statement made by the applicant’s supervisor is needed that confirms the degree will be obtained by the time of appointment.
- Applicants must have an outstanding command of the English language.
- They must have outstanding and demonstrable research and writing skills and it is preferable that they possess experience with historical (archival) research.
- They must have the ability to work both independently and as part of an (international) team.
You May Also Be Interested in These Scholarships:
- Higher Funding at Kaohsiung Medical University Scholarships for Bachelors, Masters & PhD in Taiwan
- PhD Position at University of Bergen (Norway) with High Salary
Financial Benefits Offered for Available PhD Positions at Leiden University
Let’s find out the terms and conditions for this opportunity.
- Initially, a full-time position for one year will be offered. After a positive evaluation of the progress of the thesis, the candidate’s compatibility with the appointment, and personal capabilities, the appointment will further be extended to three years.
- The salary of the candidate will range from € 2,541. – to € 3,247 gross per month ((pay scale P, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
- The university also offers an attractive benefits package with additional holidays (8%) and year-end bonuses (8.3%), sabbatical leave, training, and career development.
- A dual career program has been set up for international spouses.
- Candidates who are from outside the Netherlands could be eligible for a substantial tax break. They can check the details.
Closing Date of Applications
The last date for application submission is 27th August 2023. If interested, you should submit the applications as early as possible.
How to Apply for the PhD Positions at Leiden University
You need to submit the application in English, it should include:
- Research Proposal
- Cover Letter
- Copy of MA Thesis
- List of Two Referees
It is highly advised to visit the official call and learn all details including the application procedure very carefully before application submission.
Follow Us on Social Media Platforms for Instant Scholarship Updates
Join us on social media platforms to get regular and instant updates on scholarship opportunities to make good career moves.
More Related Scholarships You May Like